Epstein and Dauber note, “The strongest and most consistent predictors of parent involvement at school and at home are the specific school programs and teachers’ practices that encourage and guide parent involvement. Regardless of parent education, family size, student ability, or school level . . . parents are more likely to become partners in their children’s education if they perceive that the schools have strong practices to involve parents at school.”
As a school leader and teacher you may be trying to figure out how to move from involvement to engagement with the families you serve in authentic and mutually beneficial ways. The research continues to show the many positive outcomes for families, schools and the academic success achieved by students. When families are engaged:
- Students, achieve higher grades and have better test scores,
- Behavior improves and positive attitudes
- Higher graduation rates and better attendance at school
- Students go on to pursue higher education
Family and Community Engagement Services (FACES), in continued support of the Pledge of Achievement, is prepared to support your school, teachers, staff, and families. FACES has a talented and dedicated group of Family School Liaisons these individuals will be focused on supporting you and the families you serve in an effort to maximize family engagement strategies and increasing parent participation in academic-focused partnerships. FACES will be prepared to provide support in the following ways:
- Ensuring schools are creating family-friendly and welcoming campuses for students, families and staff.
- Providing learning opportunities for families through the University of Family Learning.
- Conducting on-site trainings for Infinite Parent Portal for families and community members.
- Assisting parents with their concerns and how to navigate the school district.
- Supporting you and your staff as you plan events focused on educating and engaging families.
- Sharing community resources to support and assist families and students to meet individual needs
- Working collaboratively with FACES (administrators/staff) to conduct staff meetings and trainings in effective Family Engagement strategies to build capacity to foster positive family and community relationships.